Following on from the checklist discussion. From personal use of appraisals
over the years I have discovered a few items that may help

the clinical question
the search terms
the databases searched
the reason for selecting this(these) articles for appraisal -

This last is the critical one - often articles are selected in the real
world because of access to that article - not necessarily because they are
the 'best level of evidence'. I have been to many teaching workshops where
articles are selected by participants because they are available - 'we could
not get a photocopy of the systematic review (not available full text on
line) so we are gong to appraise this RCT' .While this is satisfactory for
teaching it is not ideal for clinical practice(see below). This is one of
the key areas where we need to be as transparent in our methods as possible.

Without these items the appraisal can be taken out of context. More
personally I have found going back to some of my own appraisals done 4 or 5
years ago that without this information the appraisal is severely limited in
its usefulness.

Clearly as a physician I can only use what evidence I have access to - so
this is an argument for a study - possibly theoretical - about whether the
limited access we have to full text (although increasing) would affect the
care of our patients. My hypothesis is that actually it is rare that we miss
the killer paper that disproves the previous papers when we are using our
limited clinical searches. More likely however is that the effect size is
shown not to be so good or the diagnostic test not so successful. But I am
happy to try & disprove my hypothesis - with the help of others. The
question- 'Is quick & dirty EBM harmful?'
Martin

Department of Family Medicine
University of McGill
517 Pine Avenue West
Montreal, Quebec  H2W lS4
Tel: (514) 398-7375       Fax:(514) 398-4202