From: Tom Shakespeare [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 15 October 2002 17:48
To: Mark Priestley
Subject: Fw: disability research

Dear disability research friends and colleagues,

I notice that I have been rather viciously flamed on this list.  Can I just
put the record straight on a couple of points?

1.  Restricted Growth Association is one of those interesting voluntary
groups which includes both parents of disabled people, disabled children,
and disabled adults.  It is not a radical disability movement organisation,
but it does lots of good work, and needs all the support it can get.  Over
the years, I have written various articles for the RGA Newsletter on
disability rights themes, gently trying to broaden the perspective.  None
could be called post-modernist!  I was also proud to have persuaded the
organisation to affiliate to British Council of Disabled People, as a
majority disabled-controlled group.

2.  'Shortlist' is an email discussion group of people affected by
restricted growth which I moderate with a colleague - a very progressive
professional disabled woman of the highest integrity.  As with all email
lists, we have had problems with flaming, and with off topic messages.  We
welcome all posts connected with restricted growth, including political
discussion, but we want to avoid general disability rights or political
chat, because other lists exist for that kind of thing. We are having a
great thread at the moment about our participants objection to negative
representation of people with restricted growth on TV, so it would not be
accurate to suggest that this was an apolitical forum.  As a result of
problems and personal offence caused to members, we reluctantly converted to
a moderated list recently, not so we can suppress debate, but so we can
avoid personal insults and pointless argument.  This was in response to
demands from the membership, whom we have surveyed on several occasions.

3.  With a colleague, I am currently involved in a research proposal to
explore the lives of people with restricted growth, both medical and social
dimensions.  This research is managed by the Restricted Growth Association,
and I would be happy to explain more about our aims and methodology off
list.

As always, I am happy to answer any queries about my work, off list.  I
stand by my record in disability studies and disability rights, and if
people have rational comments or criticisms to make, I am always pleased to
receive them.  Many people have questioned and challenged me, which I
welcome.  A few have directed personal and unfounded abuse at me, just as
they have at other 'tall poppies', which I believe should have no place on a
list like this, or indeed in the wider disability community.

Tom Shakespeare