> Looking at the problem from a DCMI maintenance point of view,
> I would love to have a way to say: "Use any of these MARC
> relator codes as refinements of dc:contributor.  If you need to
> make more specialized distinctions (such as commission-giver
> versus contractor), here's how you can declare your own
> list of refinements to either dc:contributor or dc:creator."
> As I was saying to Roland, however, my preference would be
> to keep the set of DCMI-maintained terms as flat as possible.

DCMI maintained terms - that i agree on.
That doesn't stop us from declaring relations - nor
applications to do so.

> If I'm not mistaken, Priscilla Caplan long ago said she found
> the distinction between Creator and Contributor one of the
> more difficult things to explain in user training.  On the
> other hand, it obviously is an important distinction or it
> wouldn't have made it into the Core in the first place.

hmmm...what's with dc:source ?

> But if "importance" is the defining distinction between
> Creator and Contributor (a major versus a minor role),

IMO the amount of responsibility for contribution to content for
a dc:contriutor is left unspecified in elements/1.1/.

I wonder how you conclude a "minor" role from the elements/1.1/
definition.

> Alternatively, we could perhaps re-invent the notion of a
> free-floating, adjective-like agentRole qualifier that could
> in principle bind to any element, but I'd rather not go there.

No! We certainly don't want that.
rs