Hi
I have just subscribed to the list and thought I would send details of what
I am doing:
I am in the final stages of writing up my PhD in the Geography department
at the University of Liverpool.  The title of my thesis is "Constructing
body space: gender sport and body image in adolescence" and is concerned
with the ways in which teenagers construct their bodies in line with ideal
images and how this impacts on their participation in sports activities.  I
am also interested in how adolescents' bodies are disciplined within the
space of the school, issues related to food and control, and discourse
about healthy bodies within schools.
My methods involved working with 13-16 year olds (boys and girls) in four
schools in liverpol (two mixed-sex and two single-sex) and one youth group.
I used a combination of methods including questionnaires, one-to-one
interviews, task-based focus groups and photo diaries.
I would be really interested in hearing from anyone who is doing similar
work.

Bethan

Bethan Evans
Department of Geography