Hi John DeRoy,

One question, then some advice:-

1. Your BPM Office within Sales and Marketing? What is the focus of your
group then.

2. Break down the silos - get each 'silo' manager to give you the top 10
things that they want you to investigate and find better working practices
for. Then find the top 1-3 things that are most common and go fix them,
co-opting members from each silo manage who's now a 'stakeholder'

3. Don't build you team greater than 7-13 people including your self and
always turn every activity into a 3-9 month projects with Critical Success
Factors.

4. Where possible compliment the core team. Of the BPM Office you may rotate
a group of secondees though it. Therefore you may only have a BPM Office
librarian, Administrators, a BPM Facilitator per project and the secondees.

5. Always try and keep secondees in their full time time, but ring fence the
BPR work. This means they keep 'in-touch' with daily working practices and
'the job' say for 1 -2 days a week and spend 3 days a week doing the BPR
work.

6. Get some early wins....say 3 months from start to finish of a project
that delivers noticeable results - make your group something people
associate with success and everyone want to do their 'tour of duty' through
the BPM Office.

7. Get Executive sponsorship. Believe me unless a US VP is not publicly
talking up your group and 'owning' your group at VP levels and above you're
dead in the water.

Let me know if you want any more of my ideas/experience

Note, by September 2002 there have been 5004 papers written on BPR since
1993 when it was first classified. Therefore there is a lot of experience
out there. You will apply a different approach or methodology depending upon
what your problem area is and what you want to do. I would recommend you and
your team read "The Re-engineering Handbook" by Manganelli & Klein first.
Ignore Hammer and Davenport until your BPR experience has matured after 6-12
months. Then get your team a book by RN Rowe called "A FIRST course in
Business Mathematics and Statistics" it only £3.95 but will give them the
numerical grounding to be able to solve pretty much any problems they need
numbers for. Then read BPR Wizdom by Wisnosky and Feeney. These three books
will get your team kick started and save yourselves thousands of £ in
consultancy fees - and you'll probably do a better job!

But most of all, Have FUN !!!!! Rome wasn't built in a day, you won't change
Intel in a day either -  but you will, one process step at a time.