Dear John (and list),

I have followed this conversation with interest and must say the
contributions have all been excellent. I would like to offer some small
personal gems of advice that I have learnt from getting it wrong in the
past. They are:
*       Promoting yourself as an internal resource to 'support' other areas
of the office in implementing BPM seems to be the most successful approach;
and
*       Don't try to evangelize/impart your knowledge to the whole office
initially. So many of these projects have failed in the past purely on this
basis and although slightly unconventional, the partial project approach
really works. Start off with a team 'ripe for the picking' i.e. potential
big improvements for lower resource commitment. Undertake the business
analysis phase and determine what they really need in terms of process and
knowledge management. Invlove them in the project heavily (rep on the
project board etc) and deploy a solution that is custom fit for their needs.
You will find once the solution is deployed and they are finding their jobs
easier they will 'evangelize' the concept themselves and you will usually
find you will be pulled in to do other projects rather than having to push
it down their throats; and
*       Ensure all teams you are working with own the project. Not just in
name only, but give them the driving wheel and merely act as the instructor;
and
*       Ownership of the process flows and knowledge content should be
decentralised. Although a central repository is a good idea (purely on a
geographical/IT basis if nothing else) the accountability of keeping the
processes and info fresh must lie with the relevant teams, otherwise you are
fighting a losing battle; and
*       Ownership of the KM tools should be centralised. This allows your
BPM Programme Office to concentrate on developing a generic IT
infrastructure that can be customised and rolled out accordingly.
There was one other point which has been raised that I'd like to comment on.
The concept of IT as an enabler. If we break down an organisation into its
process elements there are areas which, quite simply, won't benefit from an
application of IT. However many areas will benefit from an 'appropriate' and
'informed' application of IT. Unfortunately, in many situations this is not
the case, with IT being used for its own sake rather than as a tool to
support systems and processes. On a more positive note I really believe the
tools and techniques are already out there to allow us to approach a
steady-state for successful IT implemetnations.

Enjoy your weekend,

Michael Cooch.

Business Analyst/Project Manager
Office of the Rail Regulator