Although it is increasingly uncommon for our SHOs to
treat a seriously ill or injured patient without
supervision, we do expect them to show initiative and
decision making skills in minor injuries care, and
SHOs themselves often say that it is these patients
they are most worried about when they start in the ED.
At the same time, ENPS are increasingly developing
their practice as our dear Government asks us to make
minor injury care 'nurse led'.
Just to let the list know that we in the Southwest
(including Swindon & Bath) have set up a new course,
the 'Southwest Emergency X ray Interpretation' (SEXI)
course. This is a one day course aimed at SHOs and
ENPs, to give skill and confidence in minor injury x
ray interpretation.
All the teaching is in small groups, no lectures, and
will be delivered almost exclusively by ED and
Radiology Consultants. A free CD containing images and
text is included.
It will be held in Burwalls, Bristol (a fabulous
building by the suspension bridge) on Mon 17th - Weds
19th February 2003 (same each day), and costs £120, or
you can 'block book' all your SHOs and ENPs at the
reduced rate of £100 per place.
A third of the places are already booked and if you
are interested please mail me for further info. This
is a non-profit making course and I wish to avoid an
expensive BMJ advert!
Steve Meek
Frenchay