----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Bjarkoy"
Subject: Re: prehospital thrombolysis

> 1. Is £1,000 for a helicopter trip that much more expensive than £700-800
for single shot lytics when outcomes for patients that we could include into
the PTCA programme probably far outweigh the numbers we could fit into
prehospital fibrinolytic programmes.

Not convinced in an urban environment Mike. Most of our patients are whisked
to our department by land ambulance in around five to ten minutes; I expect
a helicopter would take around 20 to 30 minutes to do the same trip. But if
you were to centralise PTCA into one or two centres in London, then the
argument gets more interesting. However the infarcts are a very small
proportion of all chest pains, and it would probably be very uneconomical to
fly all chest pains to one big centre. And if you make your diagnosis first,
then it makes no sense to fly them, when you can 'lyse them on the spot. And
five or ten minutes can make a difference to an individual patient. Patients
don't infarct gradually over 90 minutes. Their ECGs suggest that the actual
process of infarction takes only around five minutes, somewhere during that
window of 30 to 90 minutes from pain onset. That's why I agree that the
20-minute target, for barn-door MIs, is worth going for.

In the rural environment, I expect journeys longer than around 30 miles
would be much faster by helicopter, but something like 90% of Britain's
population lives closer than that to their local A&E department. And
thrombolysis is only £400 a shot, and that's for tenecteplase, others are
cheaper. I can't see the current system changing much...

Adrian Fogarty