----- Original Message -----
From: "Dunn Matthew Dr.
> Yes it is. Ultimately all our patients will die sooner or later. There is
> such a thing as a silent MI. Many MIs don't have ECG changes. Should we
> admit every asymptomatic patient with a normal ECG?

It's not the silent ones, or asymptomatic ones, I'm talking about; it's
patients with chest pain! And patients and their relatives are not so happy
about acceptable mortality, trust me on this!

> The concept of
> 'acceptable mortality level' is an excellent one. The point is it should
be
> open and explicit.

But like all forms of rationing, the government and the NHS are not very
comfortable being open and explicit about such matters, nor, for that
matter, are most doctors. At least working to an established protocol
protects us, theoretically at least, from litigation, GMC penalties,
criminal charges etc etc!

Adrian