I'd agree that using a single cuff is painful for the patient if the cuff
release is delayed in order to get a check X ray.

When I was the volunteer in the atracurium study we only had a single cuff
available... very uncomfortable at 30 mins. I sometimes give a talk to the
radiographers and if I get the opportunity I put the cuff on one of them, so
that they understand the importance of getting a check X ray quickly!

Having said that I would routinely rotate the cuff at 15 mins after
manipulation if a check X ray was to be done. Much better for the patient.
Couldn't find a lot on double cuffs on Medline probably because papers were
done before Medline starts in the 1960's.

See below

Title

Comparison of the effect of EMLA cream, subcutaneous ring anaesthesia and a
double cuff technique in the prevention of tourniquet pain.

Source

BJA: British Journal of Anaesthesia. 70(4):394-6, 1993 Apr.

Abstract

We have examined the effect of EMLA on tourniquet pain and compared it with
those of subcutaneous ring anaesthesia (SRA), a double cuff technique and a
single cuff (control) during i.v. regional anaesthesia. The durations of
analgesia (mean 57.3 (SD 16.6) min) and tolerance (72.3 (13.9) min) to
tourniquet inflation in the EMLA group were comparable to those in the SRA
group (54.1 (16.2) min and 68.3 (19.0) min), but significantly (P < 0.05)
greater than those in the control group (30.0 (10.7) min and 45.6 (14.0)
min). The double cuff technique was the most effective method, with 91.5
(14.9) min duration of analgesia. We conclude that EMLA provided a
significant analgesic effect on tourniquet pain compared with the control
group, but a relatively limited analgesic effect compared with a double cuff
technique.