-----Original Message-----
From: Accident and Emergency Academic List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Adrian Fogarty
Sent: 09 October 2002 00:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: D-dimers and DVT

That's grossly oversimplified, or perhaps I should say grossly
misinterpreted Andy. If a patient is fully conscious and they have no
skull fracture, then their risk of intracranial haematoma is around 1 in
10,000!  In the right clinical context therefore a skull x-ray has an
extremely high negative predictive value, hence the beauty of this
relatively simple test in stratifying patients to go home. I can't let
you get away with that one!!

Adrian Fogarty