Yesterday I was rechecking my registrars' banding after a slight change in
their on-call patterns. I was struck by the complexity of the algorithms
used to calculate this; hours worked, antisocial working, intensity, rest
periods etc. At every turn, if you went slightly off track you got "sent to
Jail, go directly to Jail, do not pass Go" (i.e. Band 3), rather like some
cruel game. The juniors' hours and intensity seem more tightly regulated
than long distance HGV drivers or commercial pilots I imagine. By contrast
however the proposed consultant contract has no such safeguards. Instead
there are waffle words including "should, we expect, we would hope", all
depending on the benevolence of local managers.

Andrew Hobart, how did you manage to get Government to accept this deal -
what must be a "contract from hell" from their point of view? And why can't
someone work the same logic into a new consultants' contract?

Adrian Fogarty