--- Adrian Fogarty <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Yes I understand Paul, and agree. But what are your
> views on the other
> common reason for sample requests from police; that
> of the stabbing victim,
> when police ask for pre-transfusion blood? In this
> scenario the blood sample
> is used to aid identification and subsequent
> prosecution of the perpetrator
> i.e. sampling will potentially be of benefit to your
> patient, the victim,
> unlike in the alcohol scenario where sampling will
> help to prosecute your
> patient!

You could argue that by aiding in the prosecution and
subsequent driving ban you are helping your patient by
stopping them going out and doing it again and thus
potentially injuring themselves or someone else.
Preventative medicine if you like! I don't know about
you, but over the course of my career I've seen far
more people injured through drink driving than I ever
have from stabbings.

Cheers Fred.