>I certainly do a lot of haematoma blocks. In my hands the injection is not
>painful (warmed lidocaine, small amount of local before
you try entering the haematoma) and the analgesia is fine because I wait for
15 minutes before even moving the hand. When supination and tapping over the
median nerve is painless you can manipulate.

--> Yes! One common error by juniors is not waiting long enough. I tell them
not to begin unless the patient can wring their hand vigorously without any
pain.

>Firstly with respect to haematoma blocks, I'm not convinced these can be
>done much faster than a Bier's; I do a Bier's in less than 20 minutes, all
>in, with a cuff time of 15 minutes.

--> Yes, but how long will it take if you were to test the equipment first
and ALSO you have 2 patients who need to be done at the same time...

>Secondly I find many fractures are too impacted to allow easy access for a
>haematoma block

-->Yes, but you can anticipate that from the X-ray and aim at the correct
angle and/or use your Ultrasound probe to guide you. I use a tiny needle to
"bleb" the skin, or EMLA before X-ray. Then I use a fat needle to go through
to the haematoma and it will get there even if my aim is a tad off. Takes
1-2 minutes and that's while teaching an SHO (I have not done one "for
myself" in about 5 years)

>...or conversely so markedly displaced that I don't believe a local
>injection can effectively anaesthetise them.

-->??? You have one haematoma to get - its size not a factor.

>Thirdly the only time I've seen toxicity (mild) was with a haematoma block
>- well you are injecting local into a vascular marrow cavity, aren't you!

--> The day I see my first lignocaine toxicity... (I end up having used
under 10ml of 1%)

>I still do the occasional haematoma block however, if the patient is older
>(less vascular bone)...

--> I only manipulate Colles # (i.e. older and osteopenic), which is another
reason probably why I have never noticed any muscles to overcome...

>...and if the fracture is suitable (can get my needle into it easily, and
>which doesn't require much manipulation)...

--> So, does it REALLY need pulling? If it does, once disempacted, the
amount of displacement/angulation is, again, irrelevant.

>I'd be grateful if someone (perhaps John Black) could enlighten me on their
>technique, including doses, injection site and timing etc.

--> Another thing is to remind your juniors of how fragile the skin can be
and to show them how to apply traction without "peeling the elderly".

--> Dose: I draw up 10ml 1% and use 7-8ml in the radial haematoma. If the
ulnar styloid is tender by the time I finish injecting (slowly over 30-60s)
then I shoot 1-2mls into its fracture site as well. Inject the radius by
aiming at about a 45 degree angle for the fracture site from the dorsal
aspect going distally. If much overlap, may need a more acute angle to get
between the cortices. Use a green needle at least to power through if
needed. Make sure you don't come out the other side - it helps to draw back
to spot the haematoma, but should not be necessary, 'cause you'll "just
know". Keep your position while thr POP hardens.