In Derbyshire a number of partners are exploring the possibility of
building a new cultural centre in one of our market towns. The centre would
house a range of services under one roof e.g. public library, lifelong
learning, an arts venue, a high street presence for the local college, a
cinema, space for small businesses etc.

At this stage we are just considering a range of ideas but not surprisingly
the biggest hurdle to overcome is identifying sufficient capital funding
for the project.

One of the areas we would like to explore is the possibility of a major
supermarket chain, or any other group of retailers, building the centre for
us. In return the retailer(s) would be granted planning permission and
other favourable conditions for creating their own retail development.

I am interested to know if anybody has already been down this path with the
retail sector to get a new public library or possibly an even bigger
development built. Also if you have do you regard it as a success?

Before anybody suggests it PFI is not an option we want to explore!

Don Gibbs

Derbyshire Libraries and Heritage
County Hall
Matlock