Perhaps the best solution to this problem (of lots of replies to the entire
list) is for readers to send replies only to the originator. Then after some
appropriate delay (e.g., ~1 week), the originator could summarize all the
note to the entire list. As a minimum, the originator could simply
concatenate all of the responses into one note to the list. There are of
course times when we might deviate from this practice (i.e., when a
respondent feels that their reply would be use to the entire group without
delay).

Keith S. Karn, Ph.D.

Usability Engineer
Xerox Corporation, Industrial Design / Human Interface Department
1350 Jefferson Road, Mail Stop 0801-10C
Rochester, NY  14623   USA
office phone: +01-585-427-1561
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Adjunct Assistant Professor, Center for Visual Science
Visiting Instructor, Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences
University of Rochester
269 Meliora Hall
Rochester, NY 14627   USA