On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Traylen, SM (Steve) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some where someone told me they had a redhat 6.2 installation disk with
> a 2.4 kernel on it so that redhat 6.2 could be installed on a pentium 4.

Steve,

As far as I could make out, the incompatibility between RH6.2 and Pentium
4 is more an installation issue than a kernel issue. I caught a glimpse of
a Southampton internal FAQ that suggested that RH6.2 actually runs on
Pentium 4 if you can think of a "hence or otherwise" to get it installed
on the disk    eg swapping disks with a Pentium III system.

Apparently Pentium 4's do not have the next obvious number and old kernels
reckon they are i?86 where I seem to remember reading ? is the character
for 15 (Family Code) !

Other places report you need to add

        arch_compat: i?86: i686

to /usr/lib/rpmrc or perhaps /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc to get rpm to work
properly in this peculiar case

                                David Martin

Dept of Physics and Astronomy,
University of Glasgow,
Glasgow, G12 8QQ,
United Kingdom

tel:    (0)141 330 4197          fax:   (0)141 330 5881
email:  [log in to unmask]