Several twelfth-century works come to my mind. Commentaries on the
Epistle to the Romans usually discuss this duplex law in their comments
on 13:8-10, where St. Paul discusses love of neighbor. The best
discussions I've seen of this from the twelfth century come from the
commentaries of Peter Abelard and William of St. Thierry, which I worked
on in my doctoral dissertation. William's commentary is found in Corpus
Christianorum Continuatio Medievalis (CCCM) vol. 86, english translation
published in the Cistercian Fathers series, vol. 27, published by
Cistercian Publications. Abelard's commentary is found in CCCM vol. 11,
no english translation yet, though I'm working on it; I can provide
translation if you need it. See also his comments on 7:6 and 7:13.Also,
Bernard of Clairvaux is bound to have something on this in his works;
see for example Sermon 20 on the Song of Songs.

Yours,

Steve Cartwright
Western Michigan University

Lisa Nicholas wrote:

> Can anyone on the list direct me to homilies or spiritual writings which
> deal with the twofold law of charity? I'm looking for references that
> would
> have been familiar to twelfth century readers. I'd be most particularly
> interested in any texts which make correlations between love of
> neighbor/love of God and memoria sui/memoria Dei, or between the two
> loves
> and literal/allegorical meanings of Scripture.
>
> This is a fishing expedition -- I do not know that any medieval writers
> made either of the two connections I suggest, but it seems reasonable
> that
> someone might have done so. Any and all leads will be gratefully
> followed up.

> Lisa Nicholas
> Visiting Instructor, Classics
> University of Dallas