I have found the passage I was looking for. In case others might be
interested in it I include it below.

From Binski, P. Medieval Death: Ritual and Representation. Ithaca, N.Y. :
Cornell University Press, 1996, 15. When visiting the abbey at Fecamp, in
Normandy, Hugh, Bishop of Lincoln, exacted booty by bitting off two small
fragments of the bone of the arm of the most blessed lover of Christ, Mary
Magdalen, the sister of Lazarus. This limb had never been seen divested of
its wrappings by the abbots or the monks, since it was sewn tightly into
cloth. Having been refused permission to see the relic, he took a small
knife from one of his notaries, hurriedly cut the thread and undid the
wrappings. After reverently examining and kissing the much venerated bone,
he tried unsuccessfully to break it with his fingers, and then bit it, first
with his incisors, and finally with his molars.

I would still be interested in learning of any similar accounts.
Regards,
Marina Vidas

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]