>From: "John B. Dillon" <[log in to unmask]>

>Sometimes the connections between lives and popular devotion are very
>close.

And sometimes they are negligible. I don't know when it started, but at
least in the 1950s, it was a mark of devotion to write SAG for "Saint
Anthony Guide" on the outside of envelopes being sent through the mail. Why?
Because--or so the story goes--someone who needed to get a letter to her son
who was at a distance, placed a letter under or near the statue of Anthony
of Padua in her parish church and asked St. Anthony to deliver the letter
and bring back the reply. Supposedly, she came back a few days later to find
a note and cash in the place where she had left the letter. And he son later
said a Franciscan friar had given him a letter from his mother and offered
to bring back a reply. No names mentioned, of course, and at least hundreds
of years after Anthony's death.

Francine Nicholson

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]