At 09:08 AM 12/09/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>Response to your note dated 09/11/02
>
>Dear Dr. Diebold,
>
>In regard to Francois Villon.
>
>In March 1449 he was received into the baccalaureate, and in August 1452 he
>became a Master of Arts - that is to say, a junior member of the clergy.
>
>W. L. Schreiber, in his "Biblia Pauperum from the only edition with 50
>plates" (translation mine, I will give the German version if requested)
>published in Strassburg in 1903, lists thirty manuscript versions of the
>Biblia Pauperum. Twenty-one of these manuscripts are dated. They are dated
>1350-70, 1360-80, 1353, 1340-50, 1430, 1380, 1380-1400, 1360-80, 1400,
>1400-1420, 1340, 1360-75, 1420-40, 1450-65,  1460-80, 1450, 1415, 1390-1410,
>1425, 1440-60, 1470.
>
>You will note that four of these manuscript versions appeared close to 1460,
>the date given to about ten 40 page versions of the Biblia Pauperum.
>
>This is solid evidence that the concept of teaching, or learning, from
>images telling a Biblical study was familiar to Villon who lived 1431-63.
>After all, his education at the University of Paris was as a religious. In
>March 1449 he was received into the baccalaureate, and in August 1452 he
>became a Master of Arts - that is to say, a junior member of the clergy.
>
>I suggest that Villon, because of his education, was familiar with the use
>of pictures, on paper or parchment, as wall paintings or as painted glass
>windows as teaching aids. Whether to the literate or illiterate is not
>important since the literate would have had their information refreshed, and
>the illiterate could follow the words of the priest looking at the images in
>the wall paintings.
>
>For myself, I find your statement "A quotation by Villon in which he
>represents his mother as saying something does not strike me as good
>evidence for how the 'untutored' used images." Since the "untutored" could
>not write how could they have left "good evidence for how the 'untutored'
>used images"?
>
>Regards, Jim

Jim,

The issue addressed above are of considerable importance to me, and for
everyone, I would assume, in particular the pandora box opened by the
sentence: "and
>the illiterate could follow the words of the priest looking at the images in
>the wall paintings." Now, where is there evidence of a priest preaching
>with the help of images?  How about the "readability" of these images so
>they can be used for that purpose? What is that "seeing" all about? What
>exactly did you see, and what did you believe to see? Was it really
>necessary to "see" it our way, or was the word, the sermon much more
>important than the image? Any suggestions?

Jens T. Wollesen

Jens T. Wollesen
Assoc. Prof., Dr. phil. habil.

University of Toronto
Department of Fine Art/Graduate Department of History of Art
100 St. George Street   Toronto, Ontario, M5S 3G3   Canada

nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is scholarship

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]