From: Paul Forrest [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 05 September 2002 17:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Charging to use the People's Network - can we?

Here's one that might provoke a little debate - do list members know if
there is anything in the People's Network funding contract that stipulates
we cannot charge a fee to recoup the ongoing running costs of providing the
People's Network? E.g. a £2 per hour charge for internet access, for
example?

Seed money to provide terminals is all well and good - but the costs in
terms of providing staff to maintain the service are very high. Are any
library authorities challenging (or planning to challenge) DCMS on this
issue?

I am writing in a personal capacity and my views do not necessarily reflect
those of my employers.

Paul