Hello everyone

At the Business Meeting of the Map Curators' Group of the British
Cartographic Society in Portsmouth on 12 September, it was decided to go
forward with the proposal to institute an Internet resource called the UK
Map Curators' Toolbox, as part of the Map Curators' Group pages on the BCS
website. The intention of this resource is to make widely available many and
various hints, documents and links which would be of use to people whose
duties include caring for maps in libraries, archives, museums, schools,
universities, and anywhere else maps are found. The MCG felt that this would
be of benefit to map people throughout the country, and is thus within our
remit and responsibility.

This message serves as an announcement and a call for contributions--from
full documents, to links, to tidbits of information or more ideas!!

The source of this idea is the very helpful Map Librarian's Toolbox which is
maintained on the website of the Western Association of Map Libraries in the
United States. The MCG pays homage to WAML, and we hope they won't mind if
we borrow their idea! To see this resource, go to <<www.waml.org/maptools>>
As you'll note, it is, as is to be expected, fairly US-centric, so the MCG
want to provide a resource more useful specifically to UK map collections.

Here's a brief outline of the categories we'd like to include:
*       Organisations related to maps and map collections in the UK, Europe
and the World
*       WWW resources, including list discussion groups and links to such
sites as Oddens Bookmarks and the History of Cartography gateway
*       The "Big 10" UK map collections
*       Map collection catalogues online
*       Bibliographies on map librarianship
*       Map dealers
*       Equipment and supplies
*       Military mapping
*       Air photos and satellite imagery
*       Digital resources
*       Ordnance Survey resources
*       Hydrographic Office resources
*       Cataloguing of maps
*       Map scale
*       Conservation of maps
*       Security issues
*       Co-operative ventures

We hope to have the Toolbox up and running by the end of the year, with
items added as discovered. I will be co-ordinating content, and Frank
Blakeway, ex-BCS administrator, will be handling technical aspects--the "art
and science" of website-making, to borrow a phrase.

I look forward to hearing from everyone!

April
April Carlucci
Curator of Modern Mapping and Cataloguing Manager
British Library Map Collections
96 Euston Road
London NW1 2DB

Free exhibitions at the British Library Galleries :

50 Years of Number Ones : Listen to any one of over 930 pop music chart
toppers 1952-2002 (from 11 October)

Magic Pencil : Children's Book Illustration Today (from 1 November) original
graphic work of 13 contemporary artists

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the
[log in to unmask] : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or
copied without the sender's consent.

author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British Library. The
British Library does not take any responsibility for the views of the
author.