I would like to take a crack at answering two of these
questions based on recent discussion:

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 05:10:01PM +0200, Roland Schwaenzl wrote:
> 1. Is there a relation between the registry
>    and the still as is claimed
>    unexisting RDF Schema which
>    contain authoritive information about
>    DCMI constructs
>    which we are required
>    refer to in dcq-rdf-xml?
> In case yes: which type of relation.

Harry has (in my understanding) confirmed that the registry is
(in effect) "just another" user of an RDF schema that DCMI is
supposed to provide anyway.  It looks to me like the registry
development team has become involved in the correction and
maintenance of an RDF schema not because they see it as their
long-term responsibility to do so, but as a stop-gap measure
to correct errors in the input to the registry prototype.

In other words, it remains to be clarified who will be
responsible for ensuring that an up-to-date RDF schema based on
Usage Board decisions is maintained.  At the Florence meeting
of the Usage Board, Roland is scheduled to lead a discussion
of possible Usage Board involvement in the schema maintenance.

However, there have been (and, in my understanding, still are)
a few modeling issues related to the RDF schema itself (eg,
grouping constructs for encoding schemes), and the ball has
so far remained in the court of DC-Architecture to resolve
these.

"Filling in the blanks" with new terms based on Usage
Board decisions cannot be turned into a simple, automatic
routine until these issues are resolved.  Shell scripts to
automatically generate RDF schemas from the text files I
maintain will be a huge step in the right direction.

At any rate, none of the scenarios I have heard suggest that
maintaining the RDF schema would be a responsibility of the
Registry per se.

> 2. Is there a relation between the registry
>    and the registration process for encoding
>    schemes?
> In case yes: which type of relation.

Harry said earlier today that it is a completely separate
application.  That had confused me too.

Tom

--
Dr. Thomas Baker                                [log in to unmask]
Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven          mobile +49-171-408-5784