Andy,
      As you may know the Canadian Government has adopted the DC as its'
standard. We are currently undergoing a retrofit of existing government
Internet web pages to include the core and qualified DC. The syntax for
embedding DC in HTML has always concerned me so I would like to take this
opportunity to deal with one of the issues I have been unable to clarify.
The focus is on namespace prefixes as I have seen them used in examples on
the DC site as well as the draft you have provided. The result has been the
template below. The 15 core element set is contained in the first schema,
all of the qualifiers and encoding schemes are in the second.
      In your code example, section 5, the Australian AGLS as a second
schema is given a separate prefix. That is consistent with the use of
prefixes for namespaces, as I understand them, so I become confused by your
example in section 2.6.
      I appreciate that the dumb-down may be in effect but would that mean
that HTML can't take advantage of the http://purl.org/dc/terms/ schema?

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<head>

<link rel="schema.dc" href="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
<link rel="schema.dcterms" href="http://purl.org/dc/terms/">

<!-- dates to be in YYYY-MM-DD ISO 8601 [W3CDTF] format -->

<title>Untitled</title>
</head>

      Thanks

Cecil Somerton
Metadata Coordinator/Coordinateur des métadonnées
IKMD Information Resources/Ressources en information, DSGI
Health Canada/Santé Canada
Telephone/Téléphone: (613) 957-2664
Fax/Télécopieur: (613) 957-0292

Andy Powell <[log in to unmask]> on 2002-09-27 09:21:47 AM

Please respond to DCMI Architecture Group <[log in to unmask]>