Any American members of crit geog able to answer these queries please?
I have some old maps of USA cities. One of Chicago, ca. 1913, shows 4
dead-end tunnels running about 1.5 - 2 miles out into Lake Michigan, one from
the Ravenswood area, one from just north of the outer gharbour, one from
justsouth of this harbour, and the 4th from just south of Jacksopn Park. I
guess they may be sewage outfalls but if so why mark them on an urban plan of
Chicago?
I also have a plan of New York, dated 24/3/1973, from The Economist i think,
showing the lines of the Subway. The lines are marked under Manhattan Island,
and are shown running north off the map and also east off the map under the
East River to Long Island, as today. However there is also marked a subway
line running south west under the Hudson towards New Jersey. It leaves the
Avenue of the Americas at West 8th street and dog-legs just under the west
shore of manhattan. There is today no subway linking to New jersey- PS why
didnt they build such a subway, it isnt exaclty easy, if no car, to get from
manhattan to N J, didnt seem so to me when there 2 years ago.
Thanks for any answers, Hillary.
Hillary Shaw, P/G Geography, University of Leeds,