I think Mike's point is one that should not be dismissed lightly. If I may be so bold, Adrian, perhaps it is Mike who is being pragmatic whilst your viewpoint is the "technically correct" one!

My limited experience has been enough to give me the impression that immobilisation of the c-spine in the ED is often approached with precisely not the pragmatic view that you describe. Rather, overworked junior clinicians (nurses, paramedics, doctors) follow the routine of taping from a protocol driven point of view - i.e. without the knowledge or the time to make a reasoned decision. The result is:

a)  taping is often inadequate - poorly positioned, held on to the trolley by a few millimetres of tape on each side - I've even seen it done with micropore!

b)  the clinician may not consider the potential for movement of the body, meaning that the uncooperative patients you describe may be taped, and the cooperative ones may not have explained to them the importance of lying still if ones suspect c-spine is immobilised at one end only

Either taping should be done properly and with regard to appropriateness, or not at all; and active measures have to be taken to ensure this.

Chris

Dr C Kirke MRCSEd(A&E)
Research Officer
Clinical Information Science Unit