Point 2. There are three GOOD studies showing that a neck collar leads
to a worse outcome than physio or self directed exercise.

Mealy, Brannon and Fenelon (1986)Early mobilisation of acute whiplash
injuries BMJ 1986;292:656-7

Mckinney Dornan & Ryan (1989)The role of physiotherapy in the management
of acute neck sprains following RTAs Arch Emerg Med 1989;6:27-33

Gennis et al (1996)The effect of soft cervical collars on persistent
neck pain in patients with whiplash injury. Acad Emerg Med
1996;3:568-73.

There is the evidence.

-----Original Message-----
From: Accident and Emergency Academic List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Toby Fogg
Sent: 09 September 2002 17:44
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Clearance of c-spines

Do they not come back for another reason too?  Namely to have something
to be able to take something to their insurance company.  I realise
there are many good reasons why some of our patients are unable to work
after sustaining a whiplash injury but  - and please correct me if I'm
wrong - I think some are just playing up to get a payout. I usually get
suspicious when they say something like  "My friend suggested I get it
checked out" when I have watched them moving easily around the waiting
room.

Toby Fogg