In our department the haematoma block is our preferred choice of anaesthesia
for displaced distal radial fractures in adults because:

1. It is simple and safe for junior clinicians
2. It provides effective analgesia IF properly performed
3. It can be performed as soon as the patient arrives in the ED
4. It can be performed in minor side without need for additional resources
(monitoring/staff).
5. Infection is not a problem.
6. Satisfactory reduction can be achieved at least initially.

We have regularly audited our practice and have been satisfied with the
outcome. All our discharged patients are seen within 24 hours of the
reduction by a consultant trauma surgeon 365 days a year.

I have seen senior clinicians have significant complications with axillary
nerve blocks and would not recommend its routine use in the ED.

The logistics of undertaking a Bier's block in many of our local department
frequently necessitates delayed reductions and a second reattendence for a
primary procedure depending on the timing of presentation and capacity in
the ED.

The key to success with the haematoma block, as with any procedure, is the
quality of the training.

John Black
Oxford