>From: Dr P Munro <[log in to unmask]>
"...and I can see a blended role developing where current A&E consultants
and current acute physicians merge together to create the new acute
emergency physicians."
Prof Sir George Alberti in Hospital Doctor  26th September.
What on earth does this mean? It sounds like "all those general physicians
who dont want to do any acute receiving work please take one step back".
If there was any sense to the world, John Heyworth would not be advising the
'acute care tsar', he would be it!
More worried than normal.

Phil Munro
A&E Glasgow

--> I thought it was to do with this "streaming" thingie. The future vision
of A&E: You have a minor injury, you go see that ENP over there and they'll
sort you out and call ortho/plastics/maxfax for anything which requires it.
If you've got a "female problem" and you're able to walk/talk, you get sent
to O&G. Ditto if you're pregnant and unwell - they will refer you on to
medics/surgeons if need be, but tomorrow.

Hey, you seem mad or wish to see th shrink - say no more! You got it.

You come in real sick by 999, the "emergency" physician will see you and
call the surgeons if it's up their street, unless you are also a "woman
problem"...

"Triage" is thus eliminated and the 3-second sort above can be done by a
clerk or a student on work experience or by a telephone at the front desk to
NHS Direct or, best, by you looking at a sign which explains where to go and
whom to bleep and the paramedics will do it for you by calling ahead if
you're too sick.

Oops, I forgot to mention which bit is done by the "old" Emergency/Casualty
guys... Well, you see... We were realy short of GP's and they can easily be
converted to that...