--- Simon McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> Adrian,
>
> Taking this a step further, if a patient is
> cooperative and vaguely sensible
> then why strap down their head at all?  Many of
> these patients I leave in
> the collar but do not strap them down.  instead I
> explain to them what
> injury they might have and ask them not to move
> their heads around.  If we
> can trust them not to move their bodies can we not
> also trust them not to
> move their heads?

I did the spinal injuries course at Stanmore several
years ago. They took us through the nursing of spinal
injury patients and they use no collars or strapping
at all. I asked them specifically if that included
unstable C-spine injuries which it does. Must admit it
made my eyebrows raise a bit when I heard that! They
see a lot of problems from the pressure sores caused
by patients being strapped down for too long on very
hard surfaces.

Cheers Fred.