Response from Jurgen, posted with his permission:

"In an .eps file, the positioning is done by the master document.
If there is none, it will be in the bottom left corner.
It possible to load this in latex (e.g.) to get good positioning.
Alternatively, you can produce a .ps file, which is a full page
graph, correctly centred (or manually edit the .eps file to make the
switch)."

I tried changing the extension from eps to ps, and it worked for me: what
you get is a full-page picture, in landscape mode, and everything prints as
it should.

Jurgen also noted that it is the default practice on this list for the
(original) *poster* to summarize useful replies. I hadn't realized this, and
perhaps other hadn't either. Anyway, with apologies for the delay, here's
tha answer.