Here are the quotations for next week (September 1st to 7th):

1. 'I went forward, but I cannot say whither I went, and there was no more
food for myself or the sister. And upon a hot night, she weeping and calling
for food, we came to a well, and I bade her sit upon the kerb, and thrust
her in, for, in truth, she could not see; and it is better to die than to
starve.'

2. 'Be quick', said Athira; and Suket Singh was quick; but Athira was quick
no longer. Then he lit the pile at the four corners and climbed upon it,
reloading the gun.
The little flames began to peer up between the big logs atop of the
brushwood. 'The Government should teach us to pull the triggers with our
toes,' said Suket Singh grimly to the moon. That was the last public
observation of Sepoy Suket Singh.

3. .an instant later, by the tone of Spurstow's voice calling upon them to
enter, the men knew what had happened. There was no need to wake him.
The punkah was still being pulled over the bed, but Hummil had departed this
life at least three hours.
The body lay on its back, hands clinched by the side.In the staring eyes was
written terror beyond the expression of any pen.'

The sources of this week's extracts, as a number of people have pointed out,
are:

1. (They seated themselves in the heavy chairs on the pebbled floor beneath
the eaves of the summer house by the orchard...)  This is the opening
paragraph of "Proofs of Holy Writ", the last tale RK wrote, which was
completed too late to be included in his last collection - 'Limits and
Renewals'.

2. (Her cinnabar-tinted topsail, nicking the hot blue horizon, showed she
was a Spanish wheat-boat hours before she reached Marseilles mole...)  This
is the opening of 'The Manner of Men' in 'Limits and Renewals'.

3. (John drew from his bosom a stamped leather box. Some six or eight inches
long, wherein, bedded on faded velvet, lay what looked like silver-bound
compasses of old box-wood...)  This is from 'The Eye of Allah' in 'Debits
and Credits'

Good wishes to all, John R