Frank - Calm down!

I don't see why you are being so hostile about this! My text about you summarising the article was a gentle nudge to committ yourself to what this discussion list is all about (free discussion). Any articles that are quoted by others on this list are available freely from public libraries - yours are not. By all means tell us about your online editorials but you can't expect every list member interested in the dicussion to pay out to read your references. And if every list member won't pay out then suddenly we are creating an 'exclusive' club of people who have to pay to discuss an issue.

I think suggesting I have a 'twisted mind' for asking you to summarise research is a bit much! You note I asked you  to SUMMARISE the research not 'copy and paste' it onto the list as you said I did. Academia has a long history of summarising or abstracting which is what I asked you to do. What you are saying is that unless I pay you $14.95 I don't take the truth seriously and you are not willing to discuss matters with me further - well in that case you are on the wrong discussion list!

Your comments regarding PBU and EMG are contradictory. You seem to say that a measurement tool and the thing it measures have to correlate directly in terms of magnitude for them to be effective - they simply don't Frank.  Your hands are a very sensitive measurement tool, you use them to palpate muscles sometimes. They give you NO objective measurement of magnitude - you couldn't say objectively what degree of torque was being produced by a patient's biceps - are they a useless measurement tool?

You admit that in terms of measuring magnitude EMG and PBU are the same- thay fail to measure magnitude of musular torque produced but you say this makes PBU useless and EMG useful - you make no sense.

You say the PBU research I quote is the "weakest of weak evidence... because the study you refer to has never been published in a journal that is peer-reviewed, according to Medline's database." Oh Please Frank! I gave you the reference!! (Richardson CA, Jull GA, Richardson BA 1995 "A dysfunction of the deep abdominal muscles exists in low back pain patients. In: Proceedings World Confederation of Physical Therapists, Washington). Are the articles from your online journal quoted in Medline? If they are does this make them valid articles and everything not on Medline invalid?

You say about the PBU : "This means that it could very well be that it is a useless tool for clinicians that did not receive a special post-academic training and do no have extensive experience with it." YES FRANK that is EXACTLY what it means. That is the point that I have been trying to make about TrAb training is that it takes a skilled, experienced, trained clinician to make it effective. If you resent having to learn skills at a post-graduate level you are in the wrong profession.

From here, to be honst Frank, your arguments become bizarre -

*********FC: I hope you're not suggesting that body contour is related to LBP (the BMI has been demonstrated on more that one occasion to be unrelated to LBP), nor that you're suggesting that we should be assessing "substitution strategies". (We might just as well be assessing the movements of the cranial bones in LBP. )

Who mentioned Body Mass Index (is that what you mean by BMI?). Contours means that shape of the human body and physical definitions of it's anatomy. If you don't look at body contours as a clinican than you really should - how else do you see these wash-board abs you talk about?

Again, I don't think you grasp what I mean by "substitution strategies" Frank. Observing substitution strategies is part of the bread and butter of being physiotherapist. Surely you have seen how somebody with an inhibited supraspinatus muscle has to substitute other muscles or whole movement strategies to initiate abduction? Well, you can see substitution strategies in people with TrAb dysfunction too - What do YOU mean by substitution strategies?

******FC: I graduated in 1983. Since then, I've hardly seen 1 patient with a well-defined VM-quadriceps with patello-femoral pain, but if seen more than plenty of patients with wash-board abs who did have LBP.

Well that kind of proves my point - doesn't it Frank? My point is that you CAN have wash-board abs and LBP (as I have explained several times.)

You:  "What do you mean by "non-structural"?
********FC: No atrophy.

Frank - where have I EVER argued that TrAb show atrophy? PLEASE read my posts properly before you respond to them.

*********FC: They were lying! The 1-2 causative relationship between smoking and lung cancer has been proven on multiple occasions! Why else do you think that a multimillion-dollar fine/settlement has been ordered in court?

 I think you need to brush-up on your research skills here Frank. An Associative and a Causative relationship are not the same thing. Whether a Causative relationship has been established between smoking and cancer, is open to debate. Certainly common sense would argue that there is a causative relationship but proving it (despite strong ASSOCIATIONS), is not the same thing.

The point you were making is that there is not a CAUSATIVE relationship between LBP and TRAb dysfunction.  Again, read my postings carefully, I have never argued that the causative relationship has been established (nor do the authours of the studies I refer to so often) but I think, considering the very strong ASSOCIATIONS between LBP and TrAb dysfunction we should take this dysfunction very seriously.

 "The final sentence about "no special training for the TrAbs is necessary, other than that one teaches the patient with LBP to stand stable and "lock" the spine" belies a misunderstanding as to how TrAb works. It doesn't "lock" the spine."
******FC: It doesn't lock the spine? In other words: it doesn't stabilise the spine? Why then would you wanna train the TrAbs?

Come on Frank - do the words 'lock' and 'stabilise' mean the same thing? - Use your anatomy. The 'locking' position for the knee  (ie in extension with all the ligaments fully tightened and most congruent surface position) is not the same thing as having a stable knee (a knee can be stable throughout it's range). Where else have you read that TrAb 'locks' the spine - give me a SINGLE reference Frank - come in, if you reply to this post please include just one single reference to TrAb 'locking' the spine.

John Spencer