Thanks for the Refs Frank -

You wrote ; "The relationship between aberrations of abdominal muscles and LBP has been proven as well (on several occasions), but those studies all concerned cross-sectional relationships",

John replies ;
Well, not so... the references I supplied in answer to Mel looked at Transversus dysfunction in terms of TIMING (much later in LBP patients), TYPE OF CONTRACTION(tonic in NON LBP subjects, phasic burst in LBP), NON-DIRECTION SPECIFIC contraction in non-LBP, direction specific in LBP pop, a LOSS OF INDEPENDENT CONTROL in LBP pop, a FAILURE TO RESPOND TO NATURAL SPEED MOVEMENTS in LBP pop etc etc (see "Therapeutic Exercise ...." Richardson et al quoted more fully in ref to Mel for a summary of the dysfunctional changes)

Maybe you are thinking only about MTf dysfunction which has been shown to be in cross-sectional changes - the proven dysfunctions in Tr Ab are much more widespread. Certainly the changes in TrAb are not just about 'relative inactivity' as you contest but much more widespread than this- the whole manner of activity is changed.

You wrote: The studies that were prospective could *not* find a relationship between weakened abdominals and subsequent incidence of LBP.

John Replies - I am pleased to hear that prospective studies have been done - I was unaware of this (Can you please forward the refs?). The problem I can forsee with prospective studies is that they would have to be done on a HUGE population over a PROLONGED period of time to pick up enough people with no history of LBP, with TrAb dysfunction who eventually developed LBP.

But even so, if you references do show no relationship, this does not contradict the theory. The researchers openly admit that they are unsure whther a 'silent' dysfunction in Tr Ab eventually results in LBP or whether low back trauma results in dysfunction in TrAb. If the latter is the case the prospective studies would not show any causal relationship between TrAb dysfunction in a non-back pain population and subsequent LBP.

The important point is that there IS a relationship bewteen LBP and TrAb dysfunction (the prospective study only answers 'chicken or egg?' questions)

I know it may seem like nit-picking but an important point is that you focus on "weakness" of abdominals - the dysfunction is not to do with weakness at all and I think it confuses the issue to use this term when the research I am aware of never mentions 'weakness' as the dysfunction. This just leads people to think about 'strengthening' the abs which is possibly even counter-productive in such situations.

You wrote: Neither did training the abdominals have a curing influence on LBP

John Replies: again, see my refs to Mel that indicate to the contrary (again, could you forward your refs?)

You wrote: Furthermore, only of the MMs has a *structural* aberration (atrophy) been demonstrated in LBP (to my knowledge it has never been demonstrated that the transverse abs show atrophy in LBP. This would be in agreement with the fact that I've seen quite a number of people with wash-board abs, including well-defined transverse abs, that still had LBP).

John Replies: How do you see "well-defined transverse abs" Frank? This muscle is the deepest of all the abdominals and is simply not visible (unless you have been dissecting your patients).

The fact that you associate "wash-board abs" with good dynamic stability is a misunderstanding. Many athletes with incredible global muscle definition have poor dynamic stability - this is kinda the whole point. Global muscles are often over-active. Ballet dancers, for instance, often develop instability problems.

You are right, no one has claimed Tr Abs show atrophy, the dysfunction is one of timing and type of contraction as explained above (and more fully in my refs to Mel)

John Spencer