At 08:20 AM 8/13/02 -0700, you wrote:
>I believe that 1mm is within the abilities of an x-ray measuring system,
>assuming a standardized protocol.  If their errors were above 1mm it
>would cause people to be assigned to the wrong groups and thus make it
>harder to show significance.  I don't think anyone suggested that
>treating the lld would cause the radic to go away.  There is already too
>much damage though a lift may help.  I also don't think that it suggests
>that the lld is the cause of the radiculopathy.  Just that it may be a
>factor in its development.  This is an example of a postural (albeit
>structural) "deviation" which can be a factor leading to pain.

Doug,

An interesting paragraph. If you think that 1mm of leg length discrepancy
can be reliably detected with x-rays I guess we don't need the "Sensitive
measurement tools, capable of detecting significant variations in alignment
of a segment or two from the normal range" Dr. Sahrmann says still need to
be invented. Maybe someone should tell her.

What exactly is the difference between the "cause" of something and "a
factor in its development"? Are you assuming the origin of the problem can
be known? (See "The End of Evaluation?" on my web site for more on this).

When you say something is "postural" yet "structural" which do you mean? I
am confused.

Barrett L. Dorko, P.T.
<http://barrettdorko.com>