>>There is this local saint in Oosterhout (the Netherlands): Oelbert. A
>>farmer who found the booty which robbers on the run left behind on his
>>land, while he was ploughing. The police thought Oelbert was the robber
>>and he was immediatly executed: decapitated. Oelbert walked (lead by his
>>oxes) to the city to proof his innocence. Then he died and became a saint.
>>I don't know his day.
>>
>>Bas Jongenelen

I will definitely add Oelbert to my collection. In fact, he deserves a new
subcategory: led about by animals.

But he doesn't get the distance prize--that's held by Big Headless Jim. And
the elevation prize (climbed highest while headless) is held by Libaire's
brother (whose name I forget), a Gaulish martyr who climbed a mountain after
being decapitated and even stopped to sit in a stone "chair" and deliver a
sermon. I guess that after climbing, his body was too tired to hold the head
while it jabbered on. When pilgrims climb the mountain, the stone "chair" is
one of the places they stop at.

Incidentally, Bas, in Ireland there were no "police"--as you noted--but
there were what I think of as "enforcers." They were called fe/nnidi and if
someone you sued failed to comply with a judge's decision, you could hire
the fe/nnidi to force the party to pay the judgement.

Francine Nicholson