> >Hugo Farsitus' account of the "miracles" associated with the ergot outbreak in
> >the Soissonais in the 1120s is the product of an obviously very well educated
> >(as a doctor, perhaps?) man who is, among other things, looking at the
> >phenomenon occuring before his eyes in a relatively dispassionate and
> >objective manner.
> >
> >but there's no trace in his narrative of any level of skepticism re the actual
> >validity of the miracles & visions themselves.

One study that has not so far been mentioned in this discussion is
Ronald C. Finucane, Miracles and Pilgrims: Popular Beliefs in
Medieval England, who actually compares such medieval descriptions of
ergot poisoning with that of an outbreak that occurred in a French
village in 1951.  The parallels are fascinating.  I don't know how
his work is regarded generally, but I can't help thinking that he
does about the best job I've come across of both taking medieval
miracle accounts seriously and "deconstructing" them in a way that
makes them understandable to a contemporary audience.  He also, in
passing, has some very interesting perspectives on mental illness in
the Middle Ages.
Cheers,
Jim Bugslag

to: [log in to unmask]