Dear Lars,
Thank you for a most informative response.  I am reading the work of
an early forklorist at present, E. Saillens, Nos Vierges noires
(Paris, 1945), although I dare say that folklore studies have
probably advanced considerably since that time.  This phenomenon
certainly seems to fall into the realm of folklore, and I wonder if
you might be able to direct me to some good basic literature on
folklore methodology.  In particular, I'd like to know more about the
"secondary etiological legends" you mentioned. Saillens mentions many
of the similarities that you referred to between antique beliefs and
those of the Middle Ages, and he also brings up "Celtic" practice, as
well.  But he then tries to explain these similarities by positing,
quite straightforwardly, the survival of pre-Christian beliefs into
the Middle Ages (or with your examples, into almost the present),
which I can't help thinking needs a bit of nuancing, as a theory, to
be very helpful.  Particularly with the 20th-century example you
cited, it seems highly problematic to speak of "pre-Christian"
beliefs.  Rather, there seems to be a body of beliefs that is capable
of survival by clinging, so to speak, onto more explicitly rooted,
but less enduring ideologies, sort of like mistletoe.
Cheers,
Jim Bugslag

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]