On Sun, 25 Aug 2002, Christopher Crockett wrote:

> the "Asculti Filii" bull was, if i remember rightly, after 1300(?), and i've
> always wondered (since undergraduate days) whether the title/opening line
> there wasn't a deliberate reference to B.'s idea that P. wasn't following "The
> Rule."

Exactly right on both counts.  Ausculta fili was promulgated on December
4-5, 1301.  It belongs to the same period of heightened rhetoric that
would ultimately result in Unam Sanctam (Nov 18, 1302). The texts from
before 1297 tend to be just as prickly, but the authors stick to the
actual issues at hand and the rhetoric is defined by a greater specificity
in that regard.  The underlying claims of the logic are consistent in both
periods, but after 1301 the specifity of the issues that had reigned each
in is abandoned, and the claims and the rhetoric are consequently
unleashed. Your comment about its opening words being derived from the
prologue of the Rule of Saint Benedict is one of the keys to Boniface's
attitude in the matter:  the master enjoining his student, his "son", to
obey him and learn.

cecilia

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]