I just had a similar experience looking at a Bolognese MS of the Gregorian
Decretals.  The cardinals are in different colors.  I am going to start
this winter some research into synodal legislation about clerical garb.  A
brief sounding in Mansi's Sacrorum conciliorum nova et amplissima collectio
revealed several synodal decrees, some quite detailed, on cut, stuff and
color of clerical costume - what an article I read recently calls "walking
dress," not liturgical vestments.  Some fall under De vita et honestate
clericorum, some under De habitu clericorum.  Unfortunately, just like the
Corpus Iuris Canonici, little is said by synods and councils about
cardinals, although the decrees of the Councils of Constance & Basel
discuss their number and "quality."
Tom Izbicki

Thomas M. Izbicki
Collection Development Coordinator