** Apologies for cross-postings**

Dear Listmembers,

Anyone working on the Caribbean and the Caribbean Diaspora please
consider sending an abstract
for the discussion panel detailed below.

CALL FOR PANELISTS
AAG 2003 Discussion Panel
Caribbean Stories: 'Representing' Voices from the Margins?

Focus:
The theme of this discussion panel is to explore and problematize
practices of representation and the construction of Caribbean identities
and spaces. Focusing on a range of theoretical and topical perspectives,
the goal of this session is to open a dialogue about the means by which
post-colonial, and Caribbean identities in particular, have been mapped
onto specific spaces and identities and how
complimentary--and competing--stories about these processes have been
narrated.

We will be arranging co-sponsorship with several AAG Specialty Groups
and we are hoping to run two sessions in order to address a variety of
topics. We decided to arrange the sessions as discussion panels in order
to allow for greater flexibility, to facilitate greater interaction, and
to enable the participation of presenters who may also be giving talks
in paper sessions.

The following is a list of possible discussion themes/topics, but
additional suggestions are very welcome:

identity, sexuality and nation
viewing and producing space and identity
centralizing marginality
empire building and slavery
"locating" the Caribbean
narration, migration and diaspora
the role of media and dialectics
tourism and whiteness
"mapping" the other
race and globalization
contested "development"

If you are interested in participating in the above panel please contact
the organizers--either Tracey Skelton at [log in to unmask] or
Susan Mains at [log in to unmask], as soon as possible. We would
like to hear from possible panelists by 20 August at the latest.

Please email us your:
-Name
-Institutional/Contact Details
-Registration Number from the AAG website
-A short paragraph with your topic of interest (75 words max)

NB: You can participate in a discussion panel in addition to presenting
in a paper
session at the AAG Meeting.

If you have any questions or suggestions regarding the session please
feel free to get in touch.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

--Tracey Skelton, Department of Geography, Loughborough University, UK
--Susan Mains, Department of Geography and Geology, The University of
the
West Indies-Mona, Jamaica