Tom, Jon may have read the entry on Ponsonby in that
never-too-much-consulted Spenser Encyclopedia by Michael Brennan, who says
of him: 'He never owned a printing press himself but used those of such
noted printers as Field, Windet, Orwin, Wolfe, and Creede. He was best
known by Elizabethans as a bookseller'. Incidentally, the two who know most
about the FE in Spenser's FQ are Hiroshi Yamashita and Toshiyuki Suzuki.
Cheers, Bert

At 12:29 AM 2002-07-21 -0100, you wrote:
> [...]
>awful!  Thanks you for replying.  Best to you and Tobie. tpr
>
>[log in to unmask] wrote:
>
>> I can't contribute to the nitty-gritty (or, as some say
>> now, 'get granular') on this subject; just some
>> questions?  I recall reading some time back that
>> Ponsonby was more a publisher than a printer, which I
>> took to mean that he acquired manuscripts, farmed out
>> some if not most of the printing, then sold the books.
>> He was more the well-connected entrepreneur, maintaining
>> for his clients a certain distance from ink-stained
>> drudgery, than the printer who occupied something like
>> Errour's den.  But is this true?  If so, might it be the
>> case that sheets would come to Ponsonby after the
>> possibility of (further) correction had passed?
>>
>> Are many errors apparent in Book III that were not
>> listed among the Faults Escaped?  If not, maybe
>> experience showed Ponsonby or somebody in his shop that
>> the printer (if it wasn't Ponsonby) had better be more
>> careful.
>>
>> I recall, one day in the Folger, holding in my two hands
>> copies of the 1590 FQ and the 1590 Arcadia, both of
>> course published by Ponsonby, very similar in typography
>> and size.  Same printers?  Anything to be learned about
>> FQ from studies of the 1590 Arcadia?
>>
>> Cheers, Jon Q.
>> > Some evidence that Spenser was involved in compiling the list of Faults
>> > Escaped: a very few of the corrections seem to be authorial revisions.
>> >
>> > Example: in most (but not all) copies of the 1590 quarto, FQ 1.6.25.5
reads
>> > "The Antelope, and Wolfe both swift and cruell"; but in at least one
copy,
>> > the line reads "The Antelope, and Wolfe both fierce and fell," which is
>> > also the reading given in the list of Faults Escaped. I'm not saying that
>> > the second reading is more Spenserian than the first, but it's the
kind of
>> > change that authors make and compositors (usually) don't (I think). The
>> > fact that there's a press variant as well as a notice in the
corrigenda is
>> > tantalizing: was Spenser really in the printshop, reading the freshly
>> > printed sheets as they came off the press? Maybe.
>> >
>> > Other instances in which the list of Faults Escaped seems to record
>> > authorial revisions (as opposed to just proofreading) include the
>> > substitution of "Timons" for "Cleons" in 1.9.9.5, of "She" for "He" in
>> > 3.12.42 (twice), and of "her" for "him" in the same stanza. To be sure, a
>> > proofreader who was really getting into the poem could have figured out
>> > (from 1.9.4) that the pronouns in 3.12.42 needed fixin', and a
fanatically
>> > interested proofreader might have noticed that, in 1.9.4, the name of
>> > Arthur's tutor is given (twice) as Timon, and that Cleons is the same
guy.
>> > (Presumably the name is a fossil remnant of an early draft, in which
Arthur
>> > was schooled by someone whose name recalls Gk. kleos 'praise'; cf.
Arthur's
>> > flirtation with Praysdesire in 2.9.39.) Again, though, this seems to
me the
>> > kind of thing that an _author_ notices and cares about -- if he cares at
>> > all, which apparently Spenser did.

>> > David Wilson-Okamura        http://virgil.org          [log in to unmask]
>> > East Carolina University    Virgil reception, discussion, documents, &c

A.C.Hamilton
Cappon Professor Emeritus
Queen's University, Canada
Phone & Fax: 613- 544-6759