Mary, don't get too worked up about the formatting 'protocols of the CAQDAS
program' -
if you haven't decided which one to use yet - they will be slightly
different in each case anyway.
If you want to get a basic idea of transcription issues - especially
relevant with softwares needing _text only_ format,  (e.g. N6, ATLAS.ti 4.4,
WinMAX, HyperRESEARCH) you might like to
download the transcription guideline file at
http://www.soc.surrey.ac.uk/caqdas/

that file will give you a GENERAL idea of things it might be useful to
consider - (but when you boil them all down to essentials - theres not much
there (once you know what matters you'll wonder what was all the fuss
about!) - and its better knowing what the protocols might be ahead of time -
so that, as Elliot says you can build in as much as possible from your start
point, i.e. when you use the Voice Recognition software.

Some softwares allow copying direct from Word format (i.e. from an open file
via the clipboard), [e.g. The Ethnograph, MAXqda, NVivo, N6 (to a limited
extent) ] - and ALL of them, including ATLAS.ti, and possibly CodeAtext,
will let you copy straight into memos, BUT...that process will remove the
'Word' characteristics too (italics bold, underlining will go), and turn the
text into plain text  - so its still useful to have those transcription
guidelines ( for text only formats) in mind

best of luck!

Ann Lewins
CAQDAS Networking Project:  http://www.soc.surrey.ac.uk/caqdas/
Dept of Sociology