Dear all,

I have recently joined QUAL SOFTWARE and would be very pleased for any assistance you can give me. I am in the final stage of my two-year MBS research programme titled ‘Exploring IT Applications for Qualitative Data Analysis’ at Letterkenny Institute of Technology (Ireland). The study aims to investigate practice and patterns of using qualitative data analysis techniques and computer aided qualitative data analysis software. In the first phase of the research I have examined more than seven thousand articles representing 18 leading marketing journals over a period of 10 years. In the next phase, eighty-eight Irish market research companies were surveyed (a response rate of 52% was achieved).

The results provided a profile of published projects and projects carried out by companies and an evaluating of companies attitudes toward qualitative software.

However, lots of questions still remain unanswered. As research professionals working with qualitative software you are the best people to address these outstanding issues to. I will be very grateful if you could find time to respond to any of them. Please, e-mail me at [log in to unmask] with your comments or for further details and clarifications. Your participation is highly appreciated. Thank you all for your help in this matter!

   It was identified that there is a shift toward a higher degree of methodological convergence in research projects where analytical software is used. Do you agree with the opinion that computers can facilitate the process of methodological convergence?  Will the development of computer technology lead to the emergence of new methodologies, or does it just allow for doing thing simply better rather than differently (i.e. cannot lead to emergence of converged methodologies)?
   Findings indicate the growth in usage of less structured qualitative techniques in published projects. Growing popularity of mixed design projects and positive attitudes toward methodological convergence were also noted.  NUD.IST is found to be the most popular software package. How would you comment on that? Why there is an increase in the number of projects affiliated to the qualitative approach and converged design?
   What factors do you think encourage researchers in employing qualitative software? Which one has a greater influence: data attributes (i.e. handling data complexity) or process attributes (i.e. facilitating process systematisation). Are there other drivers?
   Research pointed toward perceptual differences regarding qualitative software between:

q       Respondents with more versus less experience of qualitative research

q       Respondents with more versus less experience of software

   It was found that software is employed occasionally (in specific circumstances and on certain stages of analysis) rather than regularly. How would you comment on that? Is this a proper pattern in software use or just an interim stage in development of qualitative software usage?
   The study revealed that researchers not using software expressed rather negative comments on the role of qualitative packages in qualitative research. They stated that the usage of software is limited due to various reasons. On the other hand, companies who used software expressed overall satisfaction with usage, which is growing gradually after five years of software experience. Why do you think the reluctance toward software use exists?

Thank you very much!

Elena Bezborodova,

Postgraduate research student

Letterkenny Institute of Technology