I did a study on qualitative researchers who transitioned from manual
methods to Nud*Ist, and all of the participants did go through a stage I
called the "coding trap" that parallels what you describe.

I see this as a function of "too much closeness" to the data. Historically,
qualitative researchers have valued closeness -- in part b/c it was hard to
achieve. With the new program supporting closeness at a whole different
level, we now have to *consciously* balance it against the analytical
distance we need for synthesis.

The metaphor I use is painting... if you watch a class of painters, they
work close to see detail, stand back to see pattern. But in a beginning
class, the instructor will almost have to peel the student away from their
paintings to force them to stand back and LOOK, because they get so caught
up in the detail of the work. More experienced painters know that the
looking time is as important as the painting time. Just so, I think
qualitative researchers need to work "in and out," balancing close and
distant perspectives, and the use of software changes what used to be an
natural balance to one that may need to be more consciously managed.

Here are the strategies that the participants in my study used to mitigate
the coding trap:

* Simply recognizing that the software invited a level of coding that they
didn't need, and resisting the "invitation";
* Alternating working on the computer with working on paper;
* Reflecting on the index tree categories;
* Writing memos;
* Maintaining a focus on the research questions;
* Coding systematically for specific research-related themes;
* Using other software programs with different strengths and weaknesses; and
* Using complementary manual methods.

Hope that's useful!

Cheers!

Linda