Phyllis Jestice <[log in to unmask]>

>> The Visitation was first celebrated in the East, but in 1263
>> Bonaventure introduced its observance in the Franciscan
>> order as the octave of the feast of St. John

Francine Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>

>> The Catholic Encyclopedia suggests that 2 July (the
>> older feast date) was supposed to mark the *end* of the
>> Visitation of Mary to Elizabeth, an octave after the birth
>> of John the Baptist.

Forgive for adding yet more confusion, but I don't see how 2 July can be
the octave of the feast of St. John.  As I understand it, the 8 days
comprising an octave are reckoned *inclusively*, i.e., including the day
from which they are counted -- in other words, the same day of the week,
but one week (7 days) later.  By that standard, the octave of the feast of
St. John should be 1 July, should it not?

--Christopher

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]