Dear Listmembers,
The tree planting story/topos (whether literally true
or not)can be found in sixteenth century England. It
is said that John Feckenham, the Abbot of the restored
Westminster Abbey under Queen Mary I was supervising
the planting of trees at the abbey when, in 1559, the
commissioners of Queen Elizabeth I arrived to close
down the foundation again. He told the workmen to
continue their work - the implication being that the
abbey would survive to the future - which happily it
has, both as a building and as a Benedictine
foundation, which eventually returned to England and
was re-established at Ampleforth in Yorkshire.
John Whitehead