Assuming one means by "chaste" a marriage free of sexual relations
(Christian chastity applies to all--not acting out of cupiditas and lust
but out of caritas--but the chastity of a married couple will, of
course, take place in a rather different context than that of a celibate
religious), the historian in me asks how one could know that Henry and
Cunegunde did or did not engage in marital relations.  That they had no
children would be obvservable to outsiders.  But how would one know,
especially at this distance, that they engaged in marital intercourse
but no children resulted from it rather than remained abstinent?

Dennis Martin

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/12/02 17:33 PM >>>
medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
culture
, Canterbury.

Henry II (d. 1024) . . . . Later legend gave Henry a prime qualification
for sainthood: a chaste marriage (in reality, his marriage to Cunegunde
appears to have simply been childless).  He was canonized in 1146.

Dr. Phyllis G. Jestice

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]