>From: "Ms Brenda M. Cook" <[log in to unmask]>

>Just a thought - Celtic Experts and New Agers - since we have 3 very dodgy
>female saints commemorated today, could this be a feast day of a pagan
>goddess by any chance ? Just an unorthodox thought ....

I'm not a "New Ager" so I guess I must be a "Celtic expert." ;)

There's no evidence that Celtic deities had feast days in the way that Roman
(non-Christian) figures or Catholic saints do (the Romans added one Gaulish
goddess, Epona, to their calendar, but she's an exception). The Celtic
system is quite different from the Greco-Roman. Celtic deities, like Breton
saints, were very local in focus and cult. Several hundred names or titles
for Celtic deities have been identified from inscriptions and literary
sources. Only a handful are repeated more than once. Generally, they weren't
patrons of functions or concerns; rather, they were patrons of tribes or
kin-groups.

The Celtic feasts were linked to the agricultural (crops and herding)
cycles, not the sun. There's a bit of evidence for pre-Roman calendars
(brass plates were found at Coligny in the 1800s, and the plates seem to be
a Celtic calendar). There were myths associated with the feasts, but they
were not feasts of goddesses or gods, as a rule. (1 February has become so
identified with Bridget in the Christian era that it's difficult to tell
what was happening in the pre-Christian period, but it seems that the saint
absorbed the cult of many goddesses, not just one. The focus of the feast
would have been the patroness of the tribe, frequently thought to be the
ancestress, not necessarily a goddess called Bri/d.) The Celtic feasts in
the modern calendar are:

1 November--beginning of winter, new year, pay rents, cull herds, smoke
meats for winter, end harvest, return family members from summer pastures,
return dead from Otherworld (temporarily)

1 February--beginning of spring, sowing (at least symbolic), lambing

1 May--beginning of winter, move herds to upper pastures, certain family
members stay with herds, harvest wild greens

1 August--beginning of fall; start harvest, offer first fruits; regional
fairs, races, and games; arrange marriages

Prior to the use of modern calendars, feasts were calculated by position of
the moon/stars or when an event (crops ripen, a certain tree blossoms)
occurred. Ma/ire Mac Neill suggests that beginning of harvest festivals
lasted 2 weeks or could take place any time over a period 2 weeks prior to
or 2 weeks after the "target" date. So I tend to think of any saint's feast
between mid-July and mid-August as a possible replacement for the first
fruits festival. At other times on this list, I've mentioned Daniel Melia's
article on the correspondences between the Trome/nie processions at Loronan
(Bretagne) and the pilgrimage at Croagh Patrick (Ireland), both of which
have been suggested as remnants of Celtic first fruits festivals. However,
there's no reason to think of any of them as replacing a Celtic pagan
goddess feast because there wasn't such a thing.

Francine Nicholson

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]